Resources for Renters
You shouldn’t be stuck paying higher energy bills just because you rent.
This page collects some simple resources on improving the energy performance of rental homes.
Want to read more tips about what you can do in your home?
Read the Renters’ Guide to Sustainable Living from Renew.
Presentations from 24 September 2020 webinar – Sustainability for Renters
Want to review what you saw at Sustainable House Day 2020? Download the presentations.
- Your rights as a renter – Ben Cording, Principal Solicitor, Tenants Victoria
- Energy saving tips in the home – Sushant Gurung and Zig Abolitis, Energy Advisors, Uniting
- The campaign for healthy homes – James Conlan, Sustainable Homes Project and Policy Officer, Environment Victoria
The video of the webinar will be uploaded soon.
Your local tenants union
If you need advice on your rights as a renter, the tenants union in your state or territory is a good starting point.
- Tenants Victoria
- Tenants’ Union of New South Wales
- Tenants’ Union of Tasmania
- Tenants’ Union ACT
- Tenants Queensland
- Darwin Community Legal Service – Tenants’ Advice Service (NT)
- Shelter South Australia
- Tenancy WA
Example letter requesting modifications
An example letter requesting modifications prepared by Tenants Victoria is available here. Contact your local tenants union for information for other states and territories.
How can we get a better deal for renters?
Renew and our partners are pushing for large-scale investment in home energy improvements for renters and people on low incomes. Read our plan here.
Want to read more?