When: Monday 22nd June 2020, 7:00 pm AEST (Sydney time). You’ll be able to ‘check in’ from 6:50pm.
Where: Online webinar using ‘Zoom’ (relocated due to COVID-19). If you haven’t used Zoom before use this link to test your setup. You will need to get a ticket using the link below.
- You will receive the necessary web link for the webinar from the ticketing system.
- We have a capacity of 1000 people.
- We have incurred some additional costs in hosting the webinars. You will see a large number of free tickets available and a smaller number of paid tickets should you wish to help us to meet the webinar costs.
- Renew depends on the generosity of our community to continue its valuable work. We would welcome your donation here: renew.org.au/donate or via the additional donation option when choosing your ticket.
- Click HERE to get a ticket for the webinar.
We have two excellent speakers on how residents of apartments can benefit from solar PV and energy efficiency improvements.
Presentation: Ethan Burns from ‘Sustainability Now’
Residential Strata buildings can achieve substantial energy efficiency improvements, save money and reduce their environmental impact at the same time. It’s not as hard as you might think! Ethan’s talk will provide a practical ‘how to’ guide to consider energy efficiency, including:
- Understanding where and how energy is being used in the common property
- Identifying low or no-cost opportunities that can reduce consumption and save money
- Identifying other opportunities that may require capital investment and what the return on that investment is in terms of energy cost and carbon savings
- Using the nationally recognised National Australian Building Environment Rating System (NABERS) to benchmark your building and monitor ongoing improvement in performance
- The opportunities for both common property and tenancies to generate their own clean electricity with solar photovoltaic (PV) installations.
- Identifying local, state and federal government incentives that can help you meet your energy efficiency
Speaker: Ethan Burns is an Environmental Engineer and director of Sustainability Now, an energy consultancy specialising in residential strata buildings. Ethan has helped over 500 residential strata communities with practical energy and water efficiency solutions since 2009. Typically, strata committees engage Ethan for an independent energy audit of the common areas and receive a report with prioritised, costed recommendations to improve energy efficiency, ranked with consideration of project ease, return on investment and carbon reduction. Ethan’s approach is personal and hands-on and may include presenting at strata meetings, helping with grant applications and project management. Ethan has worked in the electricity generation, transmission & distribution industries for nearly 10 years prior to starting Sustainability Now and regularly consults to the NSW Department of Planning Industry & Environment on their NABERS for Apartment Buildings energy & water rating program and the City of Sydney Smart Green Apartments Program.
Presentation: Jack Taylor from Allume Energy
Installing solar on an apartment building that benefits the residents directly is notoriously challenging. The solutions, either installing an embedded network or individual, independent systems, is technically challenging, a regulatory nightmare, and too often prohibitively expensive. That’s no longer the case. Melbourne based Allume Energy has developed the world’s first ‘behind-the-meter’ solar sharing solution. The technology allows for a single rooftop system to be shared by everyone in the building, plus the common light and power, without having to install an embedded network.
Jack will be presenting on:
- The challenges of solar power for apartment buildings
- What solutions exist
- Why the SolShare is unique in being able to supply solar to apartments
- What sustainability benefits come from a shared solar system
- How to learn more
Speaker: Jack Taylor’s passion for engineering and the environment has led him to be Head of Technical Sales at Allume Energy. He works on partnerships and business development to deploy Allume’s SolShare technology. The SolShare is the world’s first ‘behind-the-meter’ solution to shared apartment solar, enabling apartment residents to reduce their bills and carbon footprint.
You can view the video of this presentation here.
Renew is an independent organisation that does not endorse products and seeks to provide members and the general public with information so that they can make well-informed, sustainable decisions.