Martin Chape describes how he put an old evaporative cooler to good use, automating the system in the process.
Last year I promised myself that I was going to try and use the excess heat that my solar hot water system generates to cool my home.It was my intention to do this by extracting the heat from the hot water tank, either directly or with a heat exchanger replacing the redundant electric heating element, and use either an absorption or adsorption cooling process.
However, after one or two unsuccessful experiments, I put this idea aside for a while and instead decided on a much easier build: an evaporative cooler using solar PV to power it directly.
My plan was to source a discarded evaporative cooler rooftop box and replace the AC-powered fan and pump with 24 volt DC versions to be powered by a solar PV/battery system. I would also add a control system for monitoring and controlling the system remotely. Evaporative coolers are simple devices that draw air through wet absorbent pads. This cools the air through evaporation, and has the advantage of using a lot less energy than a refrigerated air conditioner. The main issue with using a second-hand unit is the cost of replacement pads, as they degrade over time and may become mouldy if unused for a while.
Step 1: sourcing the cooler rooftop box
I figured there ought to be plenty of those evaporative cooler rooftop boxes discarded after they wear out, break down or folks switch to other forms of air conditioning. I put the word out and within days my nephews had dropped off the parts for a Bonaire Brivis they’d found on the side of the road!
However, I ended up deciding to use a Bonaire Celair instead, which I bought for $50, as the Celair has thicker pads than the Brivis and the cost of pad replacement is lower.
Step 2: replacing the fan
I decided to source a fan used in the automotive industry, an 18 inch (457 mm) 24 volt DC fan, commonly used to cool the radiators of the big haul pack mining trucks.
The Celair’s removable fan mount made modifying it easy. However, the original fan was larger (19 inches), so I got a plastics company to make me a spacer to close the gap at the outer edge of the blades.
Read the full article in ReNew 126
This entry was posted on Friday, December 13th, 2013 at 10:51 am